Today is quite a sad day for the Dutch. At 6 o’clock in the evening (noon eastern time) the first airplane containing the first forty people from the downing of MH17 arrived in the Netherlands. Thousands of people laid flowers for the fallen and lined the roads while the hearses drove to Hilversum. If you haven’t been paying attention to the news as I have you can view it here.
With all the stress of the initial homecoming of the unknown people, I made dinner later than usual. But with the heat, I tried to make it with as little heat as possible. I seriously hate summer without an airco.
I made this healthy protein-packed salad. Perfect for the protein that I need in my body and super delicious. Plus it is green and I love the color green when it comes to food.
I got the recipe from here. Perfect perfect salad.
- 2 cups (1- 130g can and 310g can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (450g) spinach
- ½ yellow onion, chopped finely
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of salt and pepper
1. In a food processor, add the spinach and pulse a few times until chopped very small. Add the processed spinach, drained chickpeas, and chopped onion into a large bowl.
2. In the food processor (no need to rinse the bowl!), add the lime juice, cilantro, mustard, sugar, garlic, cumin, and oil. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Pour the dressing on top of the spinach chickpea mixture and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let stand for about 10 minutes to blend the flavours. Serve with rice and enjoy!
This salad is absolutely amazing. I am happy knowing that I have so much leftover! Yum yum!
Mom, since I know you’re reading this you should suggest Taryn make it tonight or tomorrow at Iftar (the meal which you eat dinner after a day of fasting).
Anyway if any of y’all make this fabulous salad, I hope you enjoy it!
Also, if you are also celebrating Ramadan then you should add this to your evening meal. I think it will work wonderfully with the rest of your meal.
Enjoy your meal!