I never thought I would conform to the “in” trends, but I have noticed that I am doing just that. I am currently in the process of building a hypothetical business for my final year studying International Business and Hospitality and have to determine whether my business will be on or off trend. I looked up the top five culinary trends of last year and the forecasted trends for this year.
Here are last years culinary trends:
- Healthier meal choices
- Smaller portions
- Local, artisan food
- Asian inspired comfort food
- Salted fruit
And here are the forecasted trends:
- Locally sourced meats and seafood’s
- Locally grown produce
- Environmentally sustainable
- Healthful kids’ meals
- Gluten free
Now my hypothetical business will be completely off trend as it is going to be a desserterie, alas my personal culinary needs and desires are completely on trend. I aspire to be healthier and somewhat gluten free. So really I am conforming to fit in, aren’t I?
In my moment of being healthy and gluten free I made a delicious polenta dish with sautéed spinach. Super easy, filling, and most of all super delicious.
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ – ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cup spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) Pour water and milk into a saucepan and slowly whisk in cornmeal. Put on a high heat and wait to boil then cover with lid and turn heat to a low and allow cornmeal to simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until thick.
2) Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a hot frying pan. Add onions and garlic and fry until translucent. Mix in mushrooms and second tablespoon of olive oil (if needed) and fry mushrooms until soft. Next add spinach and sauté until wilted.
3) Scoop polenta on a bowl plate and place sautéed spinach over top. You can add additional salt and pepper onto the polenta or add it to the spinach. Remember not to overdo it! Enjoy!
Other than that, it is still super tasty. And only one bowl of it made me full. Although I’ve been eating well today. All healthy, and filling. The correct portions have made me full.
But you should definitely make this! And you can add some butter to your polenta before you plate it. I hear that is better.
At any rate – eet smakelijk!